The idea that man can become God was first whispered in Eve’s ear by Satan, the father of the occult worldview, that is, the evolving universe of matter and energy. In condensed form it began when the Devil lied to mankind's first parents, saying "You will surely not die," "Your eyes will be opened," and "You will be like God," "knowing good and evil." (Gen. 3:4,5)
Respectively, these lies suggest that man will live forever even if he rebels against the commands of God; that by his own innate powers he can discover secret enlightenment revelatory of both his true identity as God and the knowledge of the universe of evolving matter and psychic energies; that by self-will and rebellion against God he can, by way of magic and help from spirits, become godlike and gain forbidden psychic powers; and finally, that a condition of self-control and moral purity is counterproductive since only personal experiences and final transcendence of good and evil will make him like God.
From the pre-flood world to the post-flood world of Ham and Nimrod on through to our own time, the basic foundations of the occult worldview consistently teach the following elements:
1. Monism and evolution: Though there are different forms of monism the common denominator of them all is the idea that the universe and everything in it consists of or is reducible to one substance in process of evolution. In direct contrast to the Biblical teaching that though men are made in the spiritual image of God they do not partake of God's being (Gen. 1:27), with Darwinism for instance, God, mind, and spirit are reducible to one substance: matter in the form of the neural complexity of the brain, meaning that divine consciousness (God reduced to psychic energy) operates within the neural complexity of man's brain. So God is within the brain of man:
“Since the unconscious is God all along, we may further define the goal of spiritual growth to be the attainment of godhood by the conscious self.” (A Different Drum, M. Scott Peck)
Mystical forms of monism characteristically accept some form of pantheism, as exemplified by for example, Teilhard de Chardin's Advaita Hindu pantheist New Religion and Leonard Sweet's Quantum Spirituality based in Teilhard's conceptions. Advaita (monistic) Hinduism teaches the one ultimate reality of which everything consists is Nirguna Brahman (an impersonal God-force or Void) while Teilhard's system reduces everything to Omega---his version of Brahman.
It is the monistic premise of both Darwinism and mystical occult monism that makes them fundamentally anti-Christian. In Dr. Gary North's excellent evaluation of monism, "Unholy Spirits: Occultism and New Age Humanism," North writes that,
"...there is a permanent, unbridgeable gap between the ultimate being of God and the derivative being of creatures. There is a Creator-creature distinction (meaning that) men do not partake of God's being...they are not of the same substance as God. There is no more fundamental doctrine than this one. Significantly, in every form of occultism this principle is denied....Satan's old temptation to man hinges on his denial and man's denial of the Creator-creature distinction..." (pp. 59-61)
2. God is ultimately impersonal and one with nature as opposed to God as wholly 'other' (supernatural), personal and loving (John 3:16)
3. Man's true identity is God since he is one with (shares) God's being as opposed to man created in God's spiritual image though not sharing the being of God. (Gen. 1:27)
4. Since there is only one substance, then evil is in harmony with the amoral god-substance or force. In contrast, Scripture teaches that evil operates in opposition to God's holy nature (1 Peter 1:14, 15; 3:12)
5. Gnostic illumination or enlightenment (salvation) is achieved through self-realization (awareness of personal divinity) by various occult spiritist practices, i.e., séances, spells, automatic writing, meditation, hypnosis, Ouija boards, shamanic drumming, Kundalini yoga, visualization, mind-altering drugs, transformational festivals, trance music and centering.
Occult salvation is the antithesis of salvation based on the atonement (Christ's suffering and death for sin) and received as a free gift by grace through faith in God and Christ (John 3:16; 5:24; 6:47; 17:3)
6. Psychic or spiritual powers resulting from initiation into occult spiritist practices (see above) that open the mind, or third eye according to occult lore, to contact with and even possession by aggressively hostile spirits and are often used for personal power. In contrast, Scripture teaches that spiritual gifts are distinct from and work in opposition to occult psychic powers. They are given by God to His people for service to others ( 1 Cor. 12:4-11; 14:3)
7. Eternal cyclic incarnation into different bodies over thousands or millions of years or reabsorption (annihilation and/or personal extinction) into the impersonal substance. In opposition, Scripture teaches personal immortality in either eternal heaven or hell (Matthew 25:46)
In monism, whether Darwinian or mystical occult versions, the traditional Western Judeo-Christian ways of thinking and perceiving are rejected because "all is one," This means there is no ultimate distinction between Jesus Christ and Satan, male and female, true and false, good and evil, moral and immoral, bent and straight, holy and unholy, or right and wrong because "true reality" (the one substance) is beyond the illusory categories associated with the natural (physical) world. In other words, murder, genocide, rape, lesbianism, sodomy, pederasty, pedophilia, lying, cheating and theft cannot be considered evil if evil itself is in harmony with the divine one substance.
While nothing can really be considered evil, nor can anything really be considered good. So love, honesty, integrity, courage, fidelity, and commitment cannot be considered good and worthy for the same reason evil cannot be considered evil.
Finally, there is no such thing as personhood (genuine personality) because true reality (the one substance) is not personal. In other words, because the One God in three Persons who made all men in His spiritual image, thereby endowing all men with genuine personality (personhood) is an illusion, then so are ideas of personhood and unalienable rights from the living, personal God. In fact, since personality is supposedly a hindrance to occult spiritual enlightenment, it must be destroyed.
The occult worldview of Satan has been with us from the pre-flood days of Noah. Today its' most highly developed forms are Wicca and Advaita Hinduism and derivatives such as the occult New Age spirituality overspreading the West and America and penetrating into the whole body of the Christian church.
Primary source: "The Coming Darkness, John Ankerberg & John Weldon