by Jonas Clark In 1958 Robert Welch, founder of the John Birch Society, made some startling predictions against American Liberty. He believed there was a group of insiders intent on â€œthe surrender of American sovereignty piece by piece and step by step to various international organizations of which the United Nations is the outstanding but far from the only example.â€ He laid out his predictions in 10 points and repeated them in a 1974 conference:
1. Greatly expanded government spending for every conceivable means of getting rid of ever larger sums of American money as wastefully as possible.
2. Higher and then much higher taxes.
3. An increasingly unbalanced budget despite the higher taxes.
4. Wild inflation of our currency.
5. Government controls of prices, wages and materials supposedly to combat inflation.
6. Greatly increased socialistic controls over every operation of our economy and every activity of our daily lives. This is to be accompanied naturally and automatically by a correspondently huge increase in the size of our bureaucracy and the cost and reach of our domestic government.
7. Far more centralization of power in Washington and the practical elimination of our state lines. There is a many faceted drive at work to have our state lines to mean no more within our nation as our county lines do now within the states.
8. The steady advance of federal aid to and control over our educational system leading to complete federalization of our public education.
9. A constant hammering into the American consciousness of the horror of modern warfare. The beauties and the absolute necessities of peach, peace always on communist terms of course.
10. The constant willingness of the American people to allow the steps of appeasement by our government that amount to a piece meal surrender of the rest of the free world and the United States itself.