'Birther' stories led to Lou Dobbs' resignationSources say CNN dispute over Obama's eligibility was 'beginning of the end' Posted: November 13, 2009 12:24 pm Eastern
Â© 2009 WorldNetDaily
Lou Dobbs' refusal to drop "birther" stories about challenges to President Obama's constitutional eligibility to hold office was a major source of contention with CNN management, leading the unconventional anchor to walk away from the network and more than $9 million, according to the New York Post.
Dobbs, known for his strong stand against illegal immigration, surprised his loyal viewers Wednesday night by announcing his resignation and offering no indication of his next move.
The Post, citing anonymous sources, said the beginning of the end of a long-simmering dispute came in July, when CNN President Jonathan Klein told Dobbs' staff in a memo to stop reporting on lawsuits that demand Obama produce evidence he's a natural-born American citizen, as required by the Constitution.
"It seems this story is dead because anyone who still is not convinced doesn't really have a legitimate beef," Klein's memo said.
A source told the Post Klein's move incensed Dobbs.
"They have been talking pretty regularly since then," the source said. "And it's been pretty bad."
Dobbs, who also hosts a nationally syndicated radio show, told his radio audience in July that "even though I said I believe the president is a citizen of the United States, I don't understand why he shouldn't produce a birth certificate. My God, you're talking about the third rail of American journalism, baby! That's it. I'm not going to back off."